How to Prevent Thyroid Problems?
The thyroid gland is located in front of the neck. It is part of the endocrine system and controls metabolism. It is also used to make hormones in the body that are responsible for various body functions.
What is the Purpose of Thyroid Gland?
The thyroid gland helps regulate your metabolism by making two hormones. These hormones are also useful for breaking down the food that you eat and converting them into energy via chemical processes.
They can affect your weight loss and weight gain, control heartbeats, and control cholesterol levels. They also control body temperature, control women’s menstrual cycles, and perform many other functions.
Common Thyroid Problems:
Sometimes, thyroid reduces the production of hormones and sometimes, it increases the quantity. Due to some reasons, it could grow lumps of extra tissues that is another thyroid problem. It can also become enlarged in some cases.
Here are some common thyroid problems:
What causes thyroid problems?
If the thyroid gland is not working properly, there could be one or more reasons. Some reasons for thyroid problems are enlisted below.
- Iodine or vitamin D deficiency.
- Autoimmune diseases can affect the thyroid gland.
- Attack of viruses or bacteria on the thyroid can cause inflammation.
- Cancers or tumors on the thyroid gland.
- Non-cancerous lumps inside thyroid glands can also create problems.
- Some medical treatments and medicines.
- Sometimes thyroid problems are due to genetic orders.
How to Prevent Thyroid Disease?
You can prevent or lower the risk of thyroid disease by taking certain precautions. While some thyroid diseases are not avoidable and they need serious treatments.
- Consume a good amount of iodine to prevent hypothyroid. If you are deficient in iodine, you can’t produce enough thyroid hormone.
- Eat foods that are good for the thyroid gland. These foods include Seaweed, collagen, cod, dairy, shrimp iodized salt, tuna, eggs, and prunes.
- Stop smoking and use of alcohol.
- Some chemicals are toxic to the thyroid gland such as triclosan, BPA bisphenol, nonstick coating.
- Use a thyroid collar during x-rays.
- Don’t overconsume soy foods.
These are some precautions that you can take. There could be many others. The thyroid is very functional and important gland of our body. Protect it as much as you can.