Our body needs different nutrients, minerals, and vitamins to function properly. It is a naturally occurring element and found in various foods. Eggs, meats, and seafood are some sources of iodine.
For optimum health, iodine is important. In some cases, it is restricted or allowed minimum i.e if you are a blood pressure patient. Similarly, dietary iodine is also restricted if you are a thyroid cancer patient.
Some people prefer to consume low iodine foods and food products such as Low Sodium beef bone broth due to various reasons. One of them is to keep iodine content low in the body.
In this article, we will discuss low iodine diet and its benefits.
What is the Low Iodine Diet?
As discussed before, iodine is one of the important minerals in the body. It is required for various functions. It is used to produce thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones perform various functions in the body including metabolism regulation. The thyroid gland also uses it to repair tissue and boost growth.
Different food products contain iodine. Iodine is required for various functions but still it is recommended to limit iodine intake in some cases.
What are the Benefits of Iodine?
There are various benefits of a low iodine diet. Here are some of them.
- A low iodine diet may reduce blood pressure as iodine boost metabolism. This diet also restricts consuming unhealthy processed foods. High iodine diets are also restricted.
- A low iodine diet improves diet quality. It restricts consuming unhealthy foods. Unhealthy foods are high in salt. While following a low iodine diet, processed foods and fast foods are highly restricted. By limiting these foods, a low iodine diet can improve your diet.
Here is a list of foods that you may consume while following a low iodine diet.
- All fruits are allowed except some.
- Cereals and grains.
- Unsalted nuts.
- All vegetables without salt are allowed.
- Salt-free baked goods.
- Unsalted spreads.
- Limited intake of meat.
- Fresh herbs and spices
- Egg whites.
- Salt-free crackers.
- Salt free beverages such as reduced sodium chicken bone broth.
A low iodine diet is good for your health. There are various benefits of a low iodine diet. It may lower blood pressure and improve your diet.